Keep Your Hair, Skin, and Nails Warm and Healthy This Winter With These Helpful Tips:
Winter is definitely here, and along with it, icy winds, freezing snows and thermostats set to high. The extreme temperature fluctuations most of us face daily as we navigate our way from home to school to office and home again are hard on our hair and skin. It can make it challenging to look our best, but with the holidays (and all the photo ops that come with them) right around the corner, we obviously want to appear fabulous, not frizzy and frazzled. And we want to do it without spending a bundle.
Fortunately, it’s possible to look and feel beautiful all season long without breaking your budget. We’ve put together a few expert tips to show you how.
A Strong Winter Hair Game
That warm blast of air coming from your home or office heating vent might feel good after your freezing commute, but it’s also drying out your hair and making it more prone to split ends and breakage. Experts suggest combating this seasonal increase in dryness in a number of ways:
* Shampoo less frequently to avoid stripping away healthy natural oils. With the right tools, including dry shampoo and cute hair accessories, you may be able to stretch your time between washes by several days. Ask a Creative Images Institute hairstylist to help you develop a strategy.
* Once a week, hydrate your hair overnight with a moisturizing oil or serum.
* Never skip conditioner after shampooing and use a leave-in product to extend hydration and guard against static. While you’re at it, line your course-fabric winter hats with silk or satin fabric to reduce split ends and breakage. You can often find inexpensive vintage silk scarves at thrift stores.
* Keep up with those trims. You might be tempted to just let your hair grow all winter long, but having it trimmed regularly to remove dry, brittle ends will help reduce breakage and keep your style looking beautiful and healthy. Schedule an appointment with a Creative Images Institute hairstylist and you’ll save a bundle off of regular salon prices.
Radiant Winter-Proof Skin
Remember those temperature extremes and dry air we mentioned earlier? Well, they also tend to wreak havoc on skin if you don’t guard against them. From chapped lips and ragged cuticles to overall dullness, experts suggest protecting and perfecting cold-weather skin in a number of ways:
* Cracked, dry lips are a common winter ailment. Keep them baby soft with regular exfoliation. It’s as easy as massaging a generous coat of honey or balm into your lips with a super-soft toothbrush, then wiping away the excess and flakes with a tissue.
* Swap out your light summer moisturizer for a richer product. Avoid petroleum-based varieties as they’re more likely to dry out delicate facial skin and instead choose an oil-based solution for lasting hydration. While you’re at it, treat your face to an intensive hydrating mask twice a week. It’s easy (and inexpensive) to whip one up at home using ingredients such as yogurt, avocado, honey, aloe and almond oil.
* While it’s easy to remember to exfoliate in the summer when you’re naturally showing more skin, it’s just as important during the winter months. Keep a sugar or salt scrub in the shower and give your body a thorough buffing once or twice a week. Even better, visit the Creative Images Institute spa for an aromatherapy body scrub treatment at a budget-friendly price.
* Dry, ragged cuticles can lead to painful hangnails. Keep them moisturized by massaging in hand cream or even inexpensive Shea butter every time you wash your hands. This will also keep your hands soft and hydrated as well as encourage nail growth.
Whether you want to freshen dull winter hair with a new color, nourish and brighten skin with a facial, or get your hands holiday party ready with a fun manicure, the artists at Creative Images Institute of Cosmetology are ready to help. Give one of our conveniently located campuses a call today and enjoy luxury service at a bargain price.
By Angela Rose for Creative Images Institute of Cosmetology